"Life is like drawing on a piece of paper. Without an eraser."

Monday, December 5, 2011

Creative Writing Piece


             I heard rustling down the hall, rousing me from my deep and peaceful sleep. All of a sudden it stopped, so I was able to doze off. But a few minutes later, the sound came again. I freaked out a little, considering the fact that we have had mice in our house in the past. I turned to my side to wake up my husband, but my hand pressed down on nothing except pillows and blankets.
  I had just found out about his decoy, thinking all this time that the mass of pillows had been my husband covered in a blanket. I was steamed, because that meant he hadn't been watching the movie with me. So I decided to track him down, then chew him out for pulling something like that on me.
  After equipping myself with a flashlight, I headed downstairs, which was where the noise was coming from. I followed the sound to the dining room, where I saw a dark figure huddled under the table. I flipped the light switch, and to my surprise, it wasn't mice at all. There, stuffing his face with chips, was my idiot husband.
  "Mark!!!" I screamed. "Are you crazy? It's four o'clock in the morning! What do you think you're doing?!" Mark struggled to answer all my questions, and I would have enjoyed the bewildered look on his face if he wasn’t the one who had committed the crime.
"Um, well, you see Carol, I uhhh….. Well, let's just say I needed my junk food fix,” he responded. My eyes burned through the guilty look on his face.
“You faked sleeping just to eat junk food?!?!?!?! I seethed through clenched teeth. “I thought you were watching the movie with me! How could you do this to me, Mark? How?” I shook my head and dragged myself upstairs, feeling deceived.
I sighed and got into bed, thinking about whether what just happened was actually real or just a dream. After what seemed like days, I finally fell into a broken and fitful sleep.

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea that was where you were going with that story. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! Your word choice was very descriptive and you had a lot of voice. Good job![:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You really surprised me!! I'm glad you mixed it up! I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Mark has a binge-eating problem. Your main character will definitely have a fitful sleep -- she needs to figure out why her husband is doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I really kind of surprised myself with where this was going. It just reminded me of something my dad did once.

    ReplyDelete