"Life is like drawing on a piece of paper. Without an eraser."

Monday, January 28, 2013

The world through Teresa's eyes


Author's Note: This is a response to the book The Maze Runner and a scene from the book in another character's point of view.

Imagine waking up in a strange place, with strange people and strange customs. You have no memory of your life before that, and you're struggling to figure everything out. This is how Thomas, the main character in The Maze Runner, feels as he is bossed around by strangers. He finds out he is in an area called the Glade, where the boys there call themselves "Gladers." The Glade is surrounded by huge concrete walls, beyond which lies an enormous maze. All the other Gladers got there the same way Thomas did: one every month, with concrete memories wiped.The day after Thomas' arrival, a girl named Teresa is delivered to the Glade in the Box: the first girl to arrive. Thomas, Teresa, and the other Gladers escape the maze and find out they are being used by a scientist group called WICKED. WICKED puts them through many survival tests, and in many, Thomas is the hero. 
The book is written in Thomas' point of view, so the reader learns how he feels about everything that happens. If the book were to be told in Teresa's point of view, the reader would see the story in a whole different way. First off, Thomas is obviously a boy and Teresa a girl so the reader would see a more feminine side of things (For example, later in the book it is revealed that Teresa has feelings for Thomas. Just by stereotyping but also from other books you can see that females pay more attention to love, which the author almost always highlights).

The reader would most likely find out where Teresa was before she arrived in the Glade. When she comes out of the box and goes into a coma, no one can find out where she came from. Although, Thomas strongly believes he remembers Teresa from before his memory was wiped. If the book were in Teresa's point of view, the reader would find out a lot about what happened because when she wakes up from her coma, you can tell she remembered a lot from her life in the past. This would probably ruin the book, because one of the main things Thomas tried to find out was where Teresa came from, since he recognized her.

Another example would be when all the Gladers are trying to escape the Maze, and Thomas tells Teresa to stay behind and help the other Gladers get down. The reader gets a little bit of an idea what happens, but not as in-depth as they would have if Teresa was telling the story. 
---------------------------------
          I opened my eyes, slowly, because the light was almost blinding after being cooped up in the box for a while. When my eyes adjusted, I realized there was a group of boys staring at me. 
         Sitting up, I tried to tell them to back off. But I immediately became dizzy, so I had to lay back down. I don't know why, but I felt that I recognized one of them. Looking around me blearily, I felt a faint spot of recognition at the place I was in. Could I have...been here before?
         Using my "telepathic" abilities, I tried to communicate with the familiar boy, but no luck. That's odd...I could have sworn I've seen him before. I suddenly felt even dizzier. But I had a sudden burst of memory: I'd built something with him. Something big. For some organization...
         I whispered something I didn't remember before I fell back into my coma.
         I felt like I was dreaming while I was out, but strange images repeatedly flashed in. Somehow, they felt...familiar. Just like the one boy I recognized...
         Trying to remember everything just caused my thoughts to get muddled, pulling me deeper into my coma somehow. It became dreamless, and after what must have been days, I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment