"Life is like drawing on a piece of paper. Without an eraser."

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Is Life a Crystal Stair?


"Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair."

Mother to Son by Langston Hughes



The poem "Mother to Son" is about the hardships of life. It says that you can't have the perfect life, but you keep on trying to get to your goal. The perfect life would be "a crystal stair" with no splinters or bumps. Just smooth sailing all the way. "Life for me ain't been no crystal stair. It's had tacks in it, and splinters, and boards torn up, and places with no carpet on the floor. Bare." This part most represents that life isn't perfect, but the mother is trying her best. Although her tone is calm, you can tell that she is having a rough life. But the poem has sort of a sad mood, and it kind of inspires you to try your best.

2 comments:

  1. I know, it really seems like she is so depressed, like she was sentenced to death and has to live a normal life until then. It's labored, and yet she's trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-ddy! :D

    ReplyDelete